According to Standford Psychologist, The Covid-19 crisis has taken a psychological toll on people of all ages, but one group especially affected is teenagers. School closures, and enforced social-distancing have cut off many teens from psychological support, putting them at higher risk of developing anxiety and depression.
Dangers of the Mind (DOM) reaches and teaches young people and educators through culturally responsive Social-Emotional resources. Our curricula and supplementary tools build a sense of trust by changing the atmosphere of the classroom into a more authentic, communal, and engaging space to learn, work and grow. Not only does DOM focus on assessing the needs and wants of students, but we allow Social-Emotional Learning to be married with Character Development (SECD) to allow students and adults to walk into their fullest potential.
THE DOM CURRICULUM
Dangers of the Mind is a Social and Emotional Literacy curriculum that provides a unique perspective on the issues that affect teens. DOM promotes building healthy minds by identifying socially and emotionally detrimental setbacks.
Check Out What Our Facilitators & Students Are Saying.
WHY SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING?
BOOSTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE
11% increase of students receiving regular SEL
IMPROVES STUDENT BEHAVIOR
9%-10% Improvement In positive attitude and behavior for students receiving regular SEL
IMPROVES SCHOOL CLIMATE
As reported by 70% of teachers
IMPROVES COLLEGE/CAREER READINESS
70% of high school graduates are deficient in professional work etihic says employers
WHAT WE DISCOVERED ABOUT STUDENTS
(Data from Dangers of the Mind Participant Workshops)
- 64% - discipline is very important in achieving success according to your vision.
- 81% - "technology makes our lives easier, but it is also distracting."
- 61% - believes that reality TV shows always show real life, nothing is ever staged or untrue.
- 74% - agrees that what you think and believe has an impact on what happens in your life.
DANGERS OF THE MIND POST SURVEY
(Survey conducted after curriculum was completed)
- 100% SA/A - Improved self-esteem
- 100% SA/A - Think before acting
- 100% SA/A - Increased mental strength
- 70% - Believed circumstances does not define self
- 100% - Gained hope for a bright future
OUR LATEST SEL POLL
A majority of teachers that we polled top desires for change for their students are helping students build their self-worth/confidence, managing emotions, and increasing their self-regulation
A majority of teachers we polled described their schools climate as frustrating, overwhelming, and understaffed.
Teachers we polled said that learning methods that are challenging for this generation are:
- “Social skills and being able to interact with others”
- “Students being able to self-advocate to adults”
- “Students knowing the difference between social media vs. reality”
- “Learning how to troubleshoot unexpected outcomes”
Our Unique Curriculum
Dangers of the Mind takes pride in allowing students to read and comprehend the material and demonstrate their understanding through 4 components:
Public Speaking (This hones in on a student’s ability to not only express their feelings to a group, but be confident in their voice, which can help in long term success with their careers.)
This component helps students express themselves through a positive channel of writing.
Taking an action approach in what they are learning and applying it to their own lives.
Activating a student’s mind to take a deeper dive approach which allows the student to learn and go beyond what is required.
Every lesson utilizes grades 6-12 Common Core State Standards in the following areas of literacy:
- Utilizing Informational Text
Our program will help your students in the following areas:
- Social Impact
- Social Competence
- Project-Based Learning
- Interactive Learning
- Public Speaking
- College Bound
- Career Readiness
- Self confidence
- Character Development
- Emotional Development
- Civically Engaged
- Self Management
- Responsible decision making